Eye Injury Treatment and Prevention with Help from Our Optometry Team
Every year, millions of people sustain eye injuries at work, during sports, or at home. At Shippee Family Eye Care, with three gorgeous locations in Lancaster, St. Johnsbury, and Montpelier, VT, we do our best to educate our patients on how to protect their eyes and avoid trauma that can lead to loss of vision, or even loss of an eye.
The 7 Most Common Types of Eye Injury
- Corneal abrasions, or scratched eye
- Chemical burns and other caustic substances in the eye
- Foreign object penetration, such as small metal or wood fragments
- Black eyes and orbital blowout fractures
- Photokeratitis, also known as eye sunburn or snow blindness
- Traumatic iritis, or iris inflammation
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage, which usually looks a lot worse than it is
Risk factors for an eye injury include participation in sports, especially contact sports or sports with implements like pucks, balls, and sticks; activities such as woodworking and construction; and occupational health hazards including biohazard splashes.
Tips from Our Lancaster, Montpelier, and St. Johnsbury Optometrist Team for Preventing Eye Injury
Most eye injuries are preventable. Our Lancaster, Montpelier, and St. Johnsbury optometrist staff offers plenty of advice to patients and their loved ones on how to protect their eyes in their day-to-day-lives. These tips include:
- Always wear protective headgear and eyewear as required for your sport or occupational activity
- Follow all work-related protocols for eye safety
- Keep your eyeglasses prescriptions updated and get screened regularly for underlying vision problems that could otherwise impair your eyesight
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses while outdoors and wear sunscreen on your face
- Seek immediate medical attention if you suffer a severe eye injury
Call an eye doctor or an urgent care healthcare provider if you don't know what to do, especially because some things, such as flushing out the eye, may make a condition worse in certain cases. At our clinics, we can treat several types of eye injuries with medications and more, and can also refer you to other specialists as needed to optimize your treatment.
Are You Suffering from an Eye Injury?
Call Shippee Family Eye care for advice on your eye injury or to schedule your latest eye exam today.
Lancaster | 603-788-3561
St. Johnsbury | 802-748-3536
Montpelier | 802-223-7723